Navigate back to the homepage

Brian Williams

Hey! I’m an aspiring protein engineer, who's actively looking for ways to uplift marginalized communities everywhere. I am a rising junior at MIT, majoring in Biological Engineering and minoring in Black Studies, and am looking forward to working in the Civic Data Design Lab this summer! So far, I have been analyzing and visualizing data reports on racial and ethnic data tied to COVID-19 test results and related deaths. In this project, I’m hoping to explain the confusing (and not so surprising) trends in the data and shed light on the reasons why discrepancies exist between states when reporting race in COVID-19 tests and deaths. Why is there missing data here, and what does this tell us? About testing strategies? About practicality? About policy? I am passionate about understanding how policy decisions drive economic and social change. As an avid creative, I love to model and write poetry, and I play varsity baseball at MIT.

WHO CARES about COVID-19?

Is Section 18115 really doing anything? On June 4th, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) released new guidance requiring…

August 30th, 2020 · 3 min read

Data from reported COVID-19 tests are telling an incomplete story: Here's what you need to know

As of July 26th, there were 4.2 million positive COVID-19 tests in the United States, however, only about 2.2 million of those cases have race data associated. ...How did we get here?

July 31st, 2020 · 12 min read
© 2020 MIT Civic Data Design Lab
Link to $https://github.com/civic-data-design-lab